Published on March 18th, 2013 | by Grant Barnard22
How To Easily Paint A Stairwell – Ladder Setup
Please always take all precautions and do your homework before attempting to paint above stairs. This article it to show you how to do it a safer way than using a ladder that extends on both sides. For further review of approriate ladder pleas read our Ladder Choice article. This picture demonstrates how this is done. Always remember to use ladders that are rated to hold you, your tools and the plank that you are using. Using an aluminum plank that extends will of course make this easier. However you can also buy scaffolding rated plank boards that you can pick up at any lumber yard.
How To Set Up The Ladders On The Stairs
- The extension ladder should be at an angle that is not close to straight up and down. You should feel more than comfortable climbing the ladder on its own.
- Then place the step ladder at the top of the stairs being sure to set the plank on the step and not just the supports on the back side of the step ladder.
- Place the plank on the the two corresponding steps that will allow you to easily reach the ceiling line. This may take an adjustment to which step the extension ladder is resting on. The plank should be level as it could slide out from underneath you if the plank is not level. Never try to use another step ladder from the plank. This is very dangerous and should never be attempted.
- Start by cutting in the ceiling completely.
- Do not try to roll out the wall from the plank.
- The cut in should be large enough so you don’t hit the ceiling when rolling out the wall with an extension pole.
- Remove the ladders and plank before attempting to roll the walls out. If you do the rolled out section will dry while you are removing ladders from the stairwell. This can create obvious roller starts and stops.
- Always keep three points of contact. If you can set your paint can on something nearby and work in smaller areas this can be achieved and results in a much safer environment.
Tips For Painting The Stairwell