Big box stores each have their own paint department filled with the brands that they have exclusive deals with. These paints are still made by the companies that have the paint stores selling similar but more specific product lines. Mainly this is so the employees at the big box store can work on a good-better-best system instead of learning all of the different properties that a professional painter enjoys from a paint store. This good-better-best system lends itself very well for the “All-in-one paints” that is so prevalent today in every big box store.
Part of the reason that house painters can always supply a better paint job is that we use paints that are specifically meant to produce the results that impress. For house painters in Indianapolis call Grants Painting at 3178004540.
How Paint Stores AND Painters Grade Paint Performances
- Pencil Hardness – Pencil hardness refers to how much pressure the coating can take before being compromised. Typically we will look for a harder paint coating for trim paint. Many times, but certainly not always, the coating hardness will compromise the elasticity.
- Elasticity – Elasticity is a paint property rarely looked at since water based paints came to the forefront. Paint elasticity is a main priority in exterior paints. Paint elasticity helps protect your homes exterior in changing weather as the exterior of your home expands and contracts.
- Blocking – Blocking is a term that confuses most, as they think it means to block stains, it does NOT mean to block stains. Blocking is when two painted surfaces stick together and when pulled apart the paint will pull away from the surface with less of a bond. This is especially important when painting both the door frame and the door itself. Blocking can also occur in warm and humid conditions too.
- Adhesion – Adhesion is not as important with wall paints or ceiling paints as adhesion only needs to be minimal. All other applications of paint require a good adhesion to the surface being painted. Doors and railing are two great examples of surfaces that painters require the most adhesion. At Grants Painting, we paint kitchen cabinets that require the utmost adhesion.
- Leveling – Leveling is a requirement that many painters LOVE! Leveling allows us to paint a surface and leave less evidence that the surface was painted on site and not an actual “factory finish”. Leveling is one of the most important properties of paint as it always improves the final finish.
- Flow – Flow or “brushability”, as painters call it, is how easy the paint will brush against the surface. This quality has a lot to do with dry time because, if the paint dries too quickly then it will not brush out as well. Sometimes too much flow will not allow you to apply a very thick coat of paint without the paint sagging or running.
- Dry Time – Dry time is related to flow and leveling. Some paints take longer to dry and that allows for leveling. Sometimes a fast drying paint is needed in commercial settings where the surface will be in use shortly after the painting is completed.
Moisture Resistance – Moisture resistance is very important and also self explanatory. All paints need some level of moisture resistance. Kitchen, bathroom and exterior paints are most in need of moisture resistance. Typically the darker that you tint the paint, the less moisture resistance the same paint will have.
Anti-Bacterial, Anti Fungal, Anti Mold – These properties are generally added to all paint but in different amounts and strengths. Cheaper paints will have very little protections against mold, fungus and bacteria. Some paints are made to specifically protect against one or more of these dangers like DryLok and Zinsser now makes a primer meant solely to kill mold.
Ultimately the answer is that the paints are MUCH different at big box stores than at paint stores. If it is only wall paint that you require, the big box store will serve you just fine. However if you need trim paint or any other specialized paint you may want to find the nearest paint store to help you out. Paint stores often have sales such as 20-30% off, so ask them about it while telling them of the sale down the road on paint at the nearest big box store.